Tuesday, 7 August 2012

CMRS 9



     CMR Story:        
Part.1. - “The Soil.   - Chapter 8.  -  ”The  Karnatic war and Madurai Siege ”
                                                                 
ஏண்டாப்பா நாணு,
நான் சொல்லச் சொல்ல காதுலயே வாங்கிக்க மாட்டேங்கறயே...
ஊர் ஜோலியா சுத்தி சுத்தி வரயே, நம்ம வீட்ட கொஞ்சம் கவனிக்கிறயா..

ஏம்மா எதப் பத்தி சொல்லறே?.. சும்மா சுத்தி வளைக்காம சொல்லேன்..

எல்லாம் நல்ல விஷயமாத்தாண்டா பேசறேன் - கல்யாண சமாசாரம்தான்.
சீக்கிரமா நம்ம சீனுவுக்கு ஒரு கால் கட்டு போட வேண்டாமா?

Seeing Nana deeply immersed in his thoughts, Venki mama slowed down his pace.
They were having their usual early morning walk to the river side, to have bath.
It was a long and pleasant walk crossing the coconut groves and the paddy fields.
The cool early morning breeze was some thing to be experienced and not explained.

Is there any thing bothering you Nana? – You seem to be not your usual self.

Yes mama, but it is just a minor matter. -  I was thinking of my mother.
Of late, she is constantly pestering me to arrange for Seenu’s marriage.
She knows well that I am against early marriage and still she is pressurizing me.

I understand Nana. – May be she is right from her angle and is doing her duty.
How can you can you find fault with her for following our family traditions.

Does it mean you agree with my mother then?
I mean that she does what she thinks she should, in your father’s absence.

But you know how upset I was when father forced me to marry so young.
Then, it was the force of circumstances cited as reason. – What you say now?
In fact, you were not happy either with Meenu’s early marriage.  

They have now arrived very near to the river.

Well, you are cornering me correctly.
But you should realize that circumstances have not changed.
As a matter of fact, to tell the truth, the situation has worsened.

Do you mean that the good old days of Madurai is gone for ever?
True. You guessed it right.

What is the reason?
Reason was the military support given by the British to Nawab of Arkot.
Madurai had gradually fallen into their hands. - It was not in our interest.

What about our King then? Why were not the sethupathis fighting for him?
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    
I think it is time I explained to you things you do not know yet.   
It is a long story. - Let us finish our bath first.

It is also time our readers know the reason why many families had to migrate out of Madurai in the year 1760 and a little bit about the historical back ground behind.

History shows that “Migration” to South India was not a new phenomenon.

Nayakar’s period saw Telugu speaking population settling down at Madurai.
Festivals like ‘Dasara’ were new introductions in the life of Tamil speaking society.

Vijayanagara influence led to migration of several Kanarese communities also.
The ‘Kappilians’ were chief among them who fled south across the river Thungabhadhra.
They migrated in the face of oppressive Mohammadan rule in north.

They traveled through Mysore to Kanchipuram and then to Coimbatore.
Many Kanarese families got settled down in the Kambam valley region too.

Another community to arrive next was ‘The Saurastras.’ (pattunul karar).
They soon rose to prominence in towns like Dindugul and Madurai.
The Saurastras spoke vernacular Patnuli or Khathiri, a dialect of Gujarathi.
Specialised in the art of silk weaving, their valuable contribution was praise worthy.  

There was also inflow of Sanskrit scholars of Brahmin community moving to south.

New arrivals also included the Telugu speaking ‘Thottiyans’ known as ‘Kambalatthar’.  They were appointed by the Vijayanagar rulers as their regional administrators. Commonly known as palayakkarars, their caste name was Nayakkan.
It is different from the ruling class of Nayakar

Thus, while the north India became a melting pot under the grip of Sultans and Nawabs, the south was comparatively unaffected as long as the Nayakar dynasty lasted.

A chain is only as strong as its weakest link.
The last few of the Nayakar dynasty were its weakest.

Its last link was Queen Meenakshi (1732 to 1740), whose period was marked by lot of internal strife, succession disputes and foreign interventions.

She had no issues and adapted one Vijayakumarar, son of Bangaru Thirumalai who is said to have been a member of another branch of the Royal family.
Bangaru Thirumalai plotted to depose the Queen and there arose a family dispute.

Chanda Saheb, sent by Arkot  Nawab, pretended to take the role of an arbitrator and received bribe from both the parties of dispute. -  Later, in a treacherous conspiracy, the Queen was imprisoned in her own palace and then Meenakshi committed suicide.
                                                                                                                                  
After the death of Queen Meenakshi for a few years Chanda saheb was all powerful.
He strengthened the defenses of his head quarters at Trichinapalli and appointed his two brothers Buda saheb and Saduck saheb as governors for Madurai and Dindigul.

 ‘Madurai Thala Varalaru’ says that Bangaru Thirumalai and Raja of Tanjore who both suffered defeat at the hands of Chanda sahib asked the Marathas for help.

The strong Maratha army under Raghoji Bhonsle defeated and killed the Nawab of Arkat and also the two brothers of Chanda sahib, captured Dindigul and Madurai forts.

Setting aside Bangaru Thirumalai’s claim, the Marathas left Morari Rao of Gooty as governor in charge of their occupied territories.
During his rule he restored the Madurai temple to its original glory.

In due course, Madurai fell in to the hands of Muslims and then to the British company after the historic events known as the “Karnatic war.”   

  1. By 1744, the Nizam of Hyderabad reasserted his control over the Karnatic region and appointed Anwaruddin as the Nawab of Arcot who appointed his own son Muhammad Ali for the administration of Madurai.
  1. In 1748, Arcot Nawab Anwaruddin was killed in a battle as a result of which Muhammad Ali and Chanda Saheb became rival claimants to the throne.
  1. In the fierce contest between them, a proxy war commenced between the British and the French trading companies with vested interest.
  1. The British took sides with Muhammad Ali while the French supported the rival Chanda Saheb by providing him with military help.
  1. This resulted in the increasing influence of the English in Madurai country, although Madurai did not play any direct part, in the wars between rivals.
  1. In 1751, when Chanda Saheb’s men helped by the French captured Madurai fort, Muhammad Ali sent captain Cope to recover the city of Madurai but in vain.
  1. In 1755, Muhammad Ali re-captured Madurai fort, thanks to Yusuf Khan and his 2000 sepoys employed by the British Company under Col Heron.

  1. Col Heron placed Mahfaz Khan, in charge of the administration of Madurai and during his misrule; a muslim fakir claimed on top of the Roya gopuram and attempted to erect a flag which resulted in the closure of the temple.
  1. In 1759 Yusuf Khan was sent back to Madurai to restore order. Both Madurai and Tirunelveli were rented out to him for an annual sum of Rs.5 Lakhs.
 (It is in this critical juncture that our imaginary characters / incidents enter our story)

On their way back home, Venki mama revealed secrets that he was hither to holding up.
 He revealed at least certain things that Nana was longing for long, to hear about.

Nana, I do not know if you know it or not. - Your father, I and the present dalavai Ramappan (Ramu) were very close and we formed an inseparable teen age trio.
We indulged in adventures of all sorts in our childhood.

Since Ramu belonged to a family of dalavais of Madurai, we knew that he will some day become a dalavai himself because the post of dalavai had become hereditary in the same way as that of ‘Palayakarar’ in line with the hereditary rights of the Royal family.
It happened sooner than expected as his father died in a battle against Muslim invaders.

Earlier, going to Tanjore to pursue my career in painting, I got separated from others.
Ramu allowed me to go on the condition that I should return when he called me back.

The post of dalavai was thrust upon him at a crucial period and Ramappan wanted only thrust worthy people by his side.  - He made your father his chief secretary (rayasam)

He sent word for me to return immediately and I obliged him as promised.
I came back to help him in what ever manner he wanted it.
So, we continued to be a trio, this time a secret trio in responsible positions.

But you were not holding any prominent portfolio, said Nana.

That is exactly the point. - I am not supposed to; so that I can work in secrecy.
My official work was one of portrait paintings and upkeep of Madurai archive.

My other responsibilities included one of record keeping on the inventory of valuables.
It helped me get a deep knowledge about treasury articles and its secret locations.

As librarian in charge of preservation of old and rare documents I learnt all historical details from old Tamil Sangam period till now and about the foreign interventions.
I learnt of many precious things that were lost during earlier onslaughts on Madurai.

When young we had witnessed in our parent’s days the chaotic scenes when Madurai fort was attacked by Muslim invaders after the death of Queen Meenakshi.

We had seen how sethupathi vassal dalavai and others removed the main deity idols of Meenakshi Sundareswar and koodal azhakar along with the puja articles and jewels to keep under their safe custody. They took them to Mana madurai and made provisions for regular puja and for the protection of temple servants for nearly two years.

They returned only after the Maratha rulers drove out the invaders from Madurai.
Now, after 10 years, a more serious crisis came as Madurai suffered, caught between the cross fires of “Karnatic war” about which I have told you already. Have I not Nana?

Yes, you told me that as a reason for our shifting the families in a hurry, replied Nana.

True. But there were much more important reasons.
We knew that Nayakar Dynasty had come to the end of the road.

In this crisis, Ramappan as the Dalavai cum Pradani got the power and freedom to take decisions and implement the same in the interest of the country and its people. …

We will talk later, said Venki mama as they were nearing Nana’s house.
Nana’s mother was at the gate as if waiting for their arrival.

வெங்கியா கூட வரது  - ரொம்ப நல்லதா போச்சு.... உள்ளே வா.
இரண்டு பேரும் முதல்ல கால அலம்பிண்டு வந்து கூடத்துல உட்காருங்கோ.

நானே உனக்கு சொல்லி அனுப்பனும்னுதான் இருந்தேன் வெங்கடராமா.
சரி அப்புறம் பேசலாம்.. முதல்ல பலகாரம் பண்ணுங்கோ.
லக்ஷ்மி பலகணையை கொண்டு வந்து போடு. இலையை எடுத்து வை.
மல்லிகை பூ மாதிரி இட்லி சுடச் சுட வாத்து வைத்திருக்கேன்.

குழந்தை காமு வந்து, வெங்கி மாமா மடியில் ஏறி அமர்ந்து கொண்டாள்.
நாணுவின் அம்மா, தூணில் சாய்ந்து உட்கார்ந்து கொண்டாள்.

உள்ளே வ்ந்து பலகையில் அமர்ந்த வெங்கி மாமா நாணாவுக்கு ஜாடை செய்துவிட்டு,,,
மங்களம் நானே உன் கிட்ட பேசத்தான் வந்தேன் என்று ஆரம்பித்தார்.
நாணா சொன்னான், நீ சீனு கல்யாணத்துக்கு அவசரப்படரதாக.
அந்தக் கவலையை பேசாம என் கிட்ட விட்டுடு.

நான் ஏற்கனவே வத்தலகுண்டு, தென்கரை, மேல்மங்கலம் என்று சொல்லி வைத்திருக்கேன்.
நம்மாத்தோட சம்பந்தம் பண்ணிக்க யார்தான்  தயார் இல்லை.

ஜாதகப் பொருத்தம் மட்டும்தான் பார்க்கணும்.
கங்காதர கனபாடிகள் திருவனந்தபுரத்துக்கு போயி ஒரு வருஷம் ஆச்சு.
திரும்பி வர சமயம்தான். அவர் வந்தவுடனே ஏற்பாடு பண்ணிடலாம்.
எல்லாம் நான் பார்த்துக்கிறேன். சரியா.

லக்ஷ்மி கூஜாவுல ஜலம் கொண்டு வந்து வைத்து விட்டுப் போனாள்.
பாட்டி இட்லி தட்டை எடுத்துக் கொண்டு வந்தாள்.

என்னமோப்பா, நீ இருக்கே ..பகவான் இருக்கார்.. எனக்கு என்ன..
ஈஸ்வரோ ரட்சதுன்னு இருந்திடறேன்.. என்றாள் மங்களத்தம்மாள்.

8 comments:

  1. Dear Anna,

    Eagerly awaiting your next post and wish to meet you directly...

    Regards,
    Vengat.R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Venkat,
      Happy to know your interest in my blog's
      content. Hope you got my replies to your earlier letters.
      Would be happy if we can meet.
      gopal.

      Delete
  2. Dear Anna,

    So so happy to see your reply...I havent seen your replies...I am searching for them...

    Thanks a lot for taking time to reply ...I feel great...

    Please continue narrating the story....

    I would definitely want to meet you ...I am just a simple guy...Would be ready to meet you at your convenience.

    Warm Regards,
    Vengat.R

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Vengat,
    May be you missed my replies because I did not use the blog's column -'Publish'
    Any way, I did mention in those replies that the person whom you mentioned as CYSV thatha is my own Chiththappa.
    The one you know as Ganesh is my first cousin ( brother)

    I have crossed 70 and I am confined to home on health reasons.
    Thanks again for your interest in my blog.
    gopal

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Anna,

    Wish you good health and happiness...Your favorite Sivakami Amman and Poolanandeeswarar will always help you...

    I could not find the replies, I searched in my mail too. Please let me know where I need to look at...

    Regards,
    Vengat.R

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Vengat,
    Thanks for your wishes.
    I have fully recovered from a brief set back and started writing again to complete CMRS 9 that I have published next.
    CMRS 10, the last chapter of Part.1 is under preparation.
    With love,
    gopal

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Anna,

    I am happy to know that your health is good. The gods(Sivakami Amman & Poolanadheeswarar) you love will be with you...

    I couldn't reply as I was not in town, guess where I was...Yes I took a week off and spent time in Chinnamanur...Theni district is going through a drought and there has been no rains since the last 8 months...

    I believe these lean periods are necessary for us humans as they provide us time to get our priorities right...

    Please take care :)...

    Regards,
    Vengat.R

    ReplyDelete